The School’s Library is one of the country’s most specialized libraries in the field of theatre and drama. By the end of March, 2014 the library owned an enormous collection of books covering areas ranging from the technical to the general text books
The Library also has a vast collection of press clippings of reviews on various plays performed by NSD students.
Note: Library Books are issued to NSD Faculty Members, Students and Staff only
The School Library is one of the most specialized libraries in the field of theatre and Drama. Efforts are also made to procure plays and their criticism from Bengaluru and other places. It collects the material mainly on dramatics and related fields.
The subjects covered under the dramatics are
- Plays in all modern Indian Language, Sanskrit and English, Telagu, Malayalam, Tamil.
- Criticism on plays and play wrights.
- History and criticism of theatre in India and the world.
On the technical side, the subjects covered are
- Play Direction (Production)
- Acting, Movement & Mime
- Speech and Voice training
- Stage Design, Lighting & Make-up
- Theatre Architecture
- Designing of Stage Costume
Fields related to the dramatics such as
- Music & Dance and Ballet & Opera (Indian and Western)
- Yoga & Physical Education
- Film, Television and Radio Technique (Indian and Western)
- Design & Graphics
- Fine Arts
- Social and Cultural History & Anthropology (Indian and Western)
- Religion and Philosophy
- Furniture and Interior Decoration.
Research students in Literature dealing with dramatics, whether in English or Hindi, frequently make use of the Library. These research students come not only from Bengaluru but from other States also. Books are not the only means of information available but other sources like journals, reports, patents, posters, brochures, cyclostyled scripts, photos and photocopies are also rich source of materials.
The National School of Drama has a audio-video library in which more than 3000 videos and 700 CDs have been archived. This documentation includes all the performing wings of NSD i.e. NSD Repertory Company, TIE Company, School Productions etc. Apart from this it has all the documentation of plays produced in all the festivals since 1999 (i.e. Bharat Rang Mahotsav, Jashn-e-Bachpan, Bal Sangam etc)
It also has video documentation of plays, which are performed by NSD with or without collaboration in abroad, including seminars, workshops etc.
The documentation available is to be used purely for the academic purposes of the School and is not for any commercial use.